discuss: A note about links in documentation

Subject: Re: A note about links in documentation
From: "Mariusz Pekala" ####@####.####
Date: 2 Aug 2001 20:30:48 -0000

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Lawyer" ####@####.####

> On Wed, Aug 01, 2001 at 09:39:25PM +0200, Mariusz Pekala wrote:
> > Hello.
> > Reading some of the documentation I noticed that it's a very popular
> > manner to include a http links in this manner: ...you may download
> > it <a href="http://some.host.org/file">here</a>.
> >
> > This is OK if you read the doc online, but is very annoying if you
> > read a printed document.  How do you know 'where' you can
> > download???
>
> By "printed document", do you mean the text rendition of it which
> someone has printed?  Or do you mean a pdf of ps that has been
> printed?

In fact I mean the PDF version of a Domain-mini-HOWTO, after I have sent it to the printer and got with me to read in the bus while I am on my way home. :-)

The links are preserved and works good when I am reading the doc on my screen - I can click it with mouse and my viewer (whatever it is) goes in the right place.

What I want (I kindly ask) is that one should do exactly what you say below: "In this case the author needs to give enough information so that one can locate the reference (target of the link) in the plain text version.", but I would love to have it with the internet links.
Two examples:
(Domain-HOWTO)
"The root.hints file is exactly as described in the BIND documentation, or in the DNS HOWTO(link). At the..."

(LDP-Author-Guide)
"5.6. References
There are many guides to writing style available online. Here is a brief list of some of the best:
- Politics and the English Language(link)
- The Elements of style(again a link)
..."

A good example of what I mean is:
(LDP-Author-Guide)