discuss: Re: [discuss] No more spam!

Subject: Re: [discuss] No more spam!
From: Rick Moen ####@####.####
Date: 28 Feb 2012 21:12:44 +0000

Quoting Roger ####@####.####

> Personal opinion there.
>
> I'm subscribed to a number of (gnu.org, etc) mailing lists and never (or
> rarely) see any spam on others.

If you've never seen the results of stolen webmail credentials before,
you've been lucky.  Welcome to the 2010s.

In November, we had an instance of that happening from the subscribed
account of a longtime member of Silicon Valley Linux User Group's main
discussion mailing list (Jim McKelvey, a user of netscape.net's webmail
service), whose credentials had been stolen by pharma spammers.  The
spam itself is no longer in the archives (because I as listadmin
expunged it), but my commentary's still there:
http://lists.svlug.org/archives/svlug/2011-November/057390.html

> When I do see repetative ignored spam and nobody complains or fixes
> it, it makes me wonder as to whether the list is even maintained.
> It's also a sign the list isn't active or is no longer utilized.

Of the several people who stood up in the theatre and started yelling in
this case (sent 'No more spam!' complaints pointlessly to their fellow
subscribers), it appeared that exactly zero correctly understood what
had happened, and definitely exactly zero mentioned having attempted to
contact the listadmins before resorting to bothering their fellow
subscribers.

Some would speculate that all of these diligent souls _had_ previously
written to the listadmin address about the problem and gotten no result,
but just forgot to mention that fact.

I would call that an extremely optimistic guess.

> If the movie is bad enough and complaints go apparently unheeded, the
> next logical step seems to be to make a public statement if it bothers
> one enough.  Question is then, is anybody left in the movie theater to
> hear it. ;-)

Question actually is, how far out on a limb are you willing to go to
make excuses for clueless and inconsiderate behaviour?