discuss: Decision Time: Modernization/Re-Design of Website

Subject: Re: [discuss] Decision Time: Modernization/Re-Design of Website
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 2 May 2011 07:36:38 +0100

On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 03:31:45PM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:

[snip]
> My recollection is that Greg Hankins collects submissions to

Greg Hankins left LDP about 13 years ago.  It's Greg Ferguson who now
does this.

> ####@####.#### in DocBook or LinuxDoc SGML or XML, checks their

LinuxDoc is only SGML and not XML.  SGML allows ommission of tags to
make it easier for writers, etc.

> validation, checks them into version control, and adds them to the
> LDP document tree in whatever are the toolchain-generated formats.
> People who have documents in various other formats are encouraged to
> bring them to the attention of the volunteers on ####@####.####
> so that they can re-code them so that _then_ they can be sent to
> ####@####.#### and Greg can process them.
>
> More recently, there is a MoinMoin wiki where submitters can paste in
> new or converted documents and create necessary markup using the
> MoinMoin markup language, which is believed to be simpler and more

In my opinion, LinuxDoc is equally as simple as MoinMoin

> accessible, not to mention making collaborative fixing and updating a
> bit easier.  And there was at least some talk about export facilities
> that can then feed release versions of such wikified documentation
> into the existing toolchain.

Unfortunately, the "export facilities" are sort of broken per JDD.
So thus LinuxDoc is a possibility.

[snip]