discuss: Modernization/Re-Design of Website

Subject: Re: [discuss] Modernization/Re-Design of Website
From: Bruce Hill ####@####.####
Date: 27 Apr 2011 12:31:47 +0100

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 12:41:21PM +0200, Angelo Borsotti wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I understand quite well the need to store documents in a format that allows
> to maintain,
> print, transform, etc. them.
> My hairs are gray now, and the first computer I had in front of me had
> bulbs. I have
> lived so many times the search for a format that would allow this that I am
> tempted
> to believe this is like the quest of the Holy Graal.
> It is difficult to get because we want something that allows us to type text
> and draw
> figures, focusing on contents rather than formatting, and want to do it
> easily, without
> bothering with markups.
> Having lived the early years of computing, I have no difficulty myself about
> typing
> markups (after having punched many holes in paper tapes and cards), but as
> years
> passed by I got tired of it, and thought time has come to step ahead leaving
> behind all this. I have also added/contributed entries to Wikipedia,
> experiencing
> one time more how boring and discouraging can be typing markups.
> The reason we in the third millenium do not have yet such a nice format is,
> in my opinion,
> that the companies that produce word processors (and applications for
> authoring in
> general) are interested to hook people to their products. Unfortunately,
> such proprietary
> products are so widespread that it is almost impossible to make any plan
> about
> documentation that does not reckon with them.
> The easiest way, I think, is to give it up: let people write documents using
> what authoring
> tool and format they like, as long as the result can be accessed thru the
> web or can be
> printed, e.g. as long as authors provide a source + an html or a pdf.
>
> -Angelo

Hear, hear. What began as a discussion about redesigning the website has
digressed into markup languages and licenses. Is there any wonder that
no new documents have been posted, updated, or written as a result?

Do you hear Angelo? The process and format is killing the submission of
documents which tell HOW-TO GET THE JOB DONE.

Your process is too complicated. If you want document writers, then hire
or recruit them. If you want documents, get rid of everything except the
clause to submit in whatever form the author has, and let your document
writers with experience in your preferred formats do whatever it is you
want so that it's in whatever format. If people could write in docbook or
linuxdoc or html they would have done that in the first place.

My question: can a guide/HOW-TO/whatever be submitted without a license?

Bruce Hill
--
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the
lesson afterward. But properly learned, the lesson forever changes