discuss: Modernization/Re-Design of Website

Subject: Re: [discuss] Modernization/Re-Design of Website
From: Rick Moen ####@####.####
Date: 27 Apr 2011 04:57:28 +0100

Quoting David Lawyer ####@####.####

> I've been a strong advocate for linuxdoc.  It's about as easy to learn
> as wiki markup.  But for someone who knows a wiki markup it would
> likely be better to use that than learn linuxdoc.

I don't think I've ever mention this before, but:  You're right.
FWIW, the doc I took over that's in LinuxDoc SGML is dead-simple to
edit and maintain, whereas the one I wrote from scratch that's in
DocBook 3.1 SGML is a little bit of a pain.

Neither's any big deal, though.

There are precedents for why I find the 'turn everything into a wiki'
crowd's assertion highly unlikely.  I've seen 'it's too hard and all you
have to do is wikify' turn out to be dead wrong before.  Long story; see
http://lists.svlug.org/archives/volunteers/2011q1/002125.html ,
especially footnote 1.  Coincidentally, the SVLUG debacle happened to
also involve MoinMoin.

Not that wikis aren't highly, highly useful.  They are.  But I note that
'You need to make it simpler' doesn't have a bottom limit.  For example,
Angelo currently is stuck on not knowing where/how to paste his essay
about Linux signals into wiki.tldp.org.  (Absolutely no criticism of
Angelo intended, and I think highly of his document.)

To use Angelo's essay (parked at
http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Devtools/signals.html for now -- and, BTW,
I fixed its CSS errors) to illustrate my point:  Sure, it can be
bulk-pasted from clipboard into MoinMoin.  Then, either Angelo or
somebody else needs to re-do all markup using MoinMoin markup language.

The logical conclusion of 'You need to make it simpler' pretty quickly
devolves to 'You also need to make sure the submitter never needs to do
anything', in my experience.