discuss: We don't link to non-Linux sites: Was: Our Math Teachers Are Loving Your Work!

Subject: Re: [discuss] We don't link to non-Linux sites: Was: Our Math Teachers Are Loving Your Work!
From: Rick Moen ####@####.####
Date: 2 Mar 2010 17:37:07 +0000

Quoting David Lawyer ####@####.####

> On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 01:50:23PM -0500, Math Worksheets Center wrote:
> > Howdy Tldp,
> >
> > You did a super-duper job on your web site!  It really looks like you
> > are helping a great number of people. Keep it up; you?re doing a
> > fantastic job!
>
> Note that no mention is made of LDP.  This is just a form email which
> has likely been sent to many websites.  They are not entirely free as
> they have a $30 membership fee for full access.  So they want other
> sites to link to them to improve their ranking with search engines.
> Nothing doing!

Thank you for mentioning that, David.  At a couple of other Linux
volunteer groups I participate in, I'm usually the guy with the chore of
pointing out the spammy, templated wording and attempting to remind
people that 'link exchanges' are a cheesy scam -- whereupon usually
about two or three members try to argue with me.  Which gets tiring.

When LDP decides to hyperlink to external sites, it should IMO be to
pursue the group's goals, not to join somebody else's 1995-era
promotional scheme.