discuss: LinuxWorld in San Francisco

Subject: Re: LinuxWorld in San Francisco
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 28 Jul 2001 07:53:47 -0000

On Fri, Jul 27, 2001 at 02:00:06PM -0500, Joy E Yokley wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am coordinating the LDP booth at LinuxWorld in San Francisco. If you are
> willing to work in the LDP booth, please get in touch with me and let me
> know what hours you are available. If you could let me know by August 6
> that would be great. You can reply to me offlist.
>
> Also, if you are going to be in the San Francisco area, and would like to
> attend LinuxWorld, I have some free passes for exhibits only (a $25 value).
> These are limited,  I will try to send them out on a first come/first serve
> basis. You can reply to me offlist.
>
> Also, I thought it would be a good idea to have some kind of handouts in
> the booth. I am looking for ideas about which of our documents you think
> would be good to print out and have available as handouts. A history of the
> LDP would be great to have also if someone has something like this handy.

Here's what I hastily wrote on 10 April 2000 and passed out a few
hundred copies at the Linux Expo in Montreal, Canada.  I've modified
it a bit.  These are half-page handouts.  You print two on a single 8
1/2 x 11 sheet, xerox it and then cut the sheets in half.  It also
needs a left margin.

            LINUX DOCUMENTATION PROJECT (LDP)
                http://www.linuxdoc.org
     by David S. Lawyer, 10 April 2000, revised 27 July 2001

The LDP is a group of volunteers providing free documentation for the
GNU/Linux operating system.  Most Linux distributions include a set of
our documents known as HOWTOs.  They cover such topics as how to use
various types of hardware with Linux, how to set up computer networks,
and how to adapt Linux to various foreign languages.  In addition to
HOWTOs we have some book-size documents known as Guides.

Our documentation fills the gaps that exist in the documentation that
comes as part of specific applications and utilities.  For example, a
HOWTO may cover a topic which requires the use of several other
programs each with it's own documentation (including manual pages
etc.).  Many HOWTOs are integrative and show how to perform a task
which requires the use of various other programs.

Even if you have our documentation supplied with your distribution,
you may want to go to our main website at linuxdoc.org or one of our
200+ mirror sites.  There you will find the latest versions and new
documents.  You may either read them on-line or download them in the
format of your choice: html, plain-text, pdf, and PostScript.

Besides using our free documentation, we invite everyone to volunteer
and help us create more and better documentation.  There are many
areas that need HOWTOs or the like.  Please see the section
"Contribute / Help" on our homepage.