discuss: TLDP documentation repository.

Subject: Re: [discuss] TLDP documentation repository.
From: "Andrew M.A. Cater" ####@####.####
Date: 25 May 2009 06:57:24 +0100

On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 08:10:11AM +0300, Svetoslav Chukov wrote:
> On Sun, May 24, 2009 at 7:37 PM, David Lawyer ####@####.#### wrote:
>
> > On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 04:11:36PM +0300, Svetoslav Chukov wrote:
> > >
> > > I will try to build also an apt-get repository for debian/ubuntu based
> > > systems.
> >
> > As you may know, Debian spilt the LDP HOWTOs into 2 packages: free and
> > non-free.  I thought it was wrong to do this, but do it they did.
> > Most of the HOWTOs are in the main (free) section of Debian.
> >

> I am trying to create not just  packages but useful packages. So, the
> repository now has 458 rpm not just because I like to play with many
> packages but because I am trying to create the appropriate structure of
> tree. So, there are 458 HOWTOs and for every HOWTO there is a rpm and soon
> deb. The user has the opportunity to install 1 howto, many howtos, or all
> the howtos.
>
> --
> Svetoslav Chukov

450 Howtos in individual packages x 13 (12 architectures + source) -
congratulations, you just added 15% to the package number metric of the
Debian mirror and they'll need to be Debian packaging policy compliant.
Go away and _talk_ to the Debian folks who are currently maintaining the
HOWTOs packages :( If you're not a Debian Developer/Maintainer, you'll need
to talk to them seriously.

David - free / non-free is entirely down to the licence. GFDL +
invariant sections == non-free, for example.

This list is going in circles - Linuxdoc/DocBook, wiki vs. plain text,
contradictory licences.

In the meantime, Google means that I can put in "Debian AspireOne HOWTO"
and get four hits or so, one of which may solve my problem of howto put
Debian on my new AspireOne. Once you've done it, you don't need to do it
again: the need for a formal TLDP HOWTO is small but the risk is that
the documentation you find is ephemeral and disappears off into a small
corner of the 'web or you have to use the wayback machine.

Or the need for a HOWTO is obsoleted by a better resource: The
Distributions HOWTO is handled much better by Distrowatch.

On my bookshelf, I have Dr Linux - a collection of early TLDP howtos in
one 1100 page book. It has the Sysadmins guide, Network admins guide and
a whole host of other (useful at the time) HOWTOs. It was a pain to get
hold of - but it got me started with Slackware 2.0 in 1994.

The need is for genuinely useful documentation - if ?? 60% of TLDP isn't
useful more than once making Debian / Fedora packages isn't going to
help. Nor is a Wiki - a particular piece of Apache software has all its
docs in a Wiki and its programming hints and tips online. In the corner case
when you need to work offline, it becomes unusable :(

What we need is writers and useful docs?

AndyC