discuss: Why MoinMoin?

Subject: Re: [discuss] Why MoinMoin?
From: Rick Moen ####@####.####
Date: 20 May 2009 02:25:30 +0100

Quoting Sean ####@####.####

> Does this mean that TLDP is essentially migrating away from traditional
> 1980's style HTML flat files and advancing to mid-90's wiki tech?

Your question is not actually answerable as phrased, because its premise
is factually incorrect.

DocBook and LinuxDoc are true structured markup.  LDP had _those_ as its
standard master format for many years.  Although contributions in
"1980s-style HTML flat files" were (and are) accepted, along with pretty
much anything else usable, that was never LDP's format.  (Staff would
re-markup the contribution.)

> It's good to see this project is still alive. Although, the thought of it
> turning into a wiki (please tell me I'm misreading these emails), brings the
> TLDP down to the spectrum of HOWTOForge, essentially.

It's a shame you didn't remember the lessons of our somewhat extensive
discussion of HowtoForge in July 2008.  To review:

1.  HowtoForge appears to be a commercial effort of Mr. Till Brehm,
principal of projektfarm GmbH in Germany.  (Mind you, nothing wrong with
commerce.)

2.  Its contents are proprietary, advertising-driven, and exist
entirely dependent on the continued well-being of a one-man-band
for-profit company.

Accordingly, its contents also cannot even be lawfully mirrored, let
alone packaged for use by Linux distributions (absent special permission
from the documents' individual authors, for that purpose).

We covered that, at the time.  You were here.

> I guess with attitudes like this (below), though, it explains the
> degradation.

Passive-aggressive much?  If you find something wrong with my reasoning,
you are extremely welcome to say what's wrong.  Taking vague shots at my
"attitude" seems pretty useless, especially when I've merely explained
why iBiblio is unlikely to rip out MoinMoin and replace it with
MediaWiki for no better reason than Bill Traynor preferring the latter.

I frankly suspect you saw absolutely nothing wrong in my reasoning, but
were just looking for an opportunity to pick a fight.  Again.

Sorry, I'm a bit busy.

--
Cheers,                      Notice:  The value of your Hofstadter's Constant
Rick Moen                    (the average amount of time you spend each month