discuss: Re: thinking of writing a "Buying new linux box" mini howto (changes)

Subject: Re: thinking of writing a "Buying new linux box" mini howto (changes)
From: Randy Kramer ####@####.####
Date: 26 Jul 2001 19:33:18 -0000

sayamindu dasgupta wrote:
> hello all,
> It seems that  you want my proposed howto to be applicable to all countries
> .
<snip>
> So what i can do is write a generalized howto  that warns a linux "newbie"
> about certain common mistakes, what they should keep in mind while going out
> to buy a new box and how s/he should interact with the seller, and avoid
> components that are suspiciously cheap (far below the usual market price of
> equivalent competing brand) and be especially careful about  modems and
> printers and display cards and so on.
> What do you think?
> please reply soon
> looking forward to ur replies
<snip>

sayamindu,

You can certainly write the generalized howto as you describe, but I
encourage you to also write the one for your Indian audience as it
sounds like it should be very helpful to India.  I'm sure a website can
be found that will be happy to host it, and there may even be publishers
willing or eager to print it for an audience in India.

regards,
Randy Kramer