discuss: Partition HOWTO, first part: Definition-and-naming

Subject: Re: [discuss] Re: Partition HOWTO, first part: Definition-and-naming
From: "jdd for http://tldp.org" ####@####.####
Date: 12 Mar 2009 10:28:59 +0000

Borden Rhodes a écrit :
> In general: I may be thinking about HOWTOs incorrectly.  I understand
> that they're not supposed to be textbooks but I believe that they're
> supposed to be more than recipes to get specific jobs done.  That is,
> HOWTOs, in addition to showing how to do something specific, also
> provides sufficient theory so the reader understands how something
> works, why it works that way, and how they can apply that knowledge to
> other problems.  My comments are based on this assumption.  If it's
> wrong, there's not much sense in reading further :)

http://tldp.org/FAQ/LDP-FAQ/index.html#AEN56

A HOWTO is supposed to be short an practical, not a theory book. Of
course this is easy to say, but difficult to acheive :-).

Dealing with partition is *not* a dummy work. Making a complete disk
guide may be usefull, but this would be no more a HOWTO, probably
neither a guide but a hole book :-)

right now I try to write down essential data (and I will soon begin
writing example). I don't even know exactly how this will be organised
in fine, I don't like the original HOWTO layout. May be the partition
HOWTO itself will be dropped in favor of several more specialized
HOWTOs, I don't (yet) know.

anyway the expected audience have to be given on top of the document.
I wont answer all the questions now, but don't forget them.

I will first go to examples. I'm now working on example files, openned
as loop device to experiment partitionning harmlessly (I already did
so on a course of mine some years ago)

thanks
jdd

--