discuss: Re: thinking of writing a "Buying new linux box" mini howto (changes)

Subject: Re: thinking of writing a "Buying new linux box" mini howto (changes)
From: "sayamindu dasgupta" ####@####.####
Date: 25 Jul 2001 17:18:47 -0000

hello everybody,
i went through the unix hardware buyers howto and realized that it is
useless to write a linux box buyers howto.
but what i actually planned initially was to write a howto for *Indian*
linux buyers
the reasons for this are:-
1) Strange types of hardware are found in india [like video-cards and
sound-cards with part of their circuitry missing(so drivers don't work, even
if they are mentioned in the compatibility list of realted software apps),
modems(ordinary hardware non-winmodems) giving "no carrier" messages no
matter what at command you give to it, cleaned cd-rom drives that make sound
like motor-bikes and nothing else (no data reading stuff) when trying to
install linux and so on]
2) Winmodems are very common in India (as they are cheap)and so more
emphasis has to be given on that
3) Thirdly and most importantly, most of the people (that is, the
assemblers, most indians try to avoid branded pcs as the comparative price
is highe in most cases)selling computers in india do not know anything about
linux. They simply try to get more $ out of their customers. Moreover they
often try to give winmodems and "ms"(or win-) printers wth their machines
*insisting* that they will work with linux and even sometimes insist that
they are are hardware modems/printers. Buyers too are blindly guided by
these people and often end up with incompatible systems... winmodems
unsupported video-cards, soft-printers etc.
4) Moreover computer users in India generally avoid opening the cases of
their machines. So they remain absolutely clueless about the chipset of the
components of the machines--- for example- a fellows thought that his modem
was a winmodem. so he planned to buy another modem from a dealer who
proffessed that he knew linux and told him that *all* internal modems are
incompatible with linux. but somedays later when i opened up his machine i
saw that his modem has a pctel chipset and now it is working perfectly (as
far as dial out is concerned) with the drivers for pctel modems.The point
that one has to know one's machine config and specs well to work under linux
has to be stated.

so please tell me if i should work on this howto/mini-howto or not.
i have received a mail from an indian linux user who is a member of this
list telling me to do it.
moreover,    even if i write such a doc, in my opinion, it becomes too
country-specific
but are'nt linux howtos meant to be universal applicable???? how can a howto
that is applicable only in a particular country fit into the scene?
plzz send in your comments and criticism
cheers
Sayamindu