discuss: GUIDE in Wiki, example of the LVM-HOWTO

Subject: Re: [discuss] GUIDE in Wiki, example of the LVM-HOWTO
From: "Svetoslav Petkov Chukov" ####@####.####
Date: 17 Dec 2008 11:22:52 +0000

I agree,
Actually I think we should reconsider the type of the documents.

HOWTO - A document that describes information how one can achieve specific
task, result or target. So, the document should be more like a step-by-step
approach.
The document could be in the following basic structure:
 - do that.
 - execute that command
 - run this script
 - etc...
 -- additional information, history and some technical and theoretical
information.

GUIDE - A document that discuses information about specific topic with more
than one step-by-step approach or includes more complicated and mixed
information about other topics.
 The document could be in the following format:
 - information about the topic 1
 - information about the topic 2
 - information about the connection between them
 - etc...
 -- additional information, history and some technical and theoretical
information.

TUTORIAL - A document that contains several GUIDEs or HOWTOs.

I really think we should have a look about that definitions. The whole
documentation repository is based on them. So, we should define the
documents not because of their size but there basic structure. If a
particular document matches a target structure then it should be qualified
by that structure.

--
Svetoslav Petkov Chukov

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 11:05 AM, jdd for http://tldp.org ####@####.####