discuss: Dead links; linuxdoc.org (was: Dead link in a HowTo)

Subject: Re: [discuss] Dead links; linuxdoc.org (was: Dead link in a HowTo)
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 21 Nov 2008 05:03:54 +0000

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 11:44:51PM -0800, Rick Moen wrote:

> Quoting David Lawyer ####@####.####
> > One common "broken" link is linuxdoc.org.  Well, it's not really
> > broken but it points to the wrong place.  Our old domain has been
> > taken over by someone and made into a commercial site.  We should have
> > asked Poet to give linuxdoc.org to us, but I guess he sold his
> > business and whoever got the business may have sold this domain.
>
> No, I strongly suspect that Poet simply let it expire without asking,
> for example, LDP if we'd like it back.  At that point, a domain
> speculator re-registered it via a domain-acquisition and parking script
> that deals in such domain properties in bulk (and in large numbers)
> without human involvement at any point whatsoever.

One approach would be to try to contact the speculator.  Explain the
situation: that we are non-profit and work for free, that we would
like our old domain back for a nominal fee (like say $50), and that
if he refuses our offer, then we will make an effort to change the
links that currently point to linuxdoc.org.

But the speculator might think that if he responds there might be some
chance that we might sue him and thus he might not respond at all.
linuxdoc.org is printed in a number of older books and it would be
nice if we could get back the domain. But as time goes on, it's
importance decreases as old docs that have it disappear from the
Internet.