discuss: howto archive authors answers

Subject: Re: [discuss] howto archive authors answers
From: "jdd for http://tldp.org" ####@####.####
Date: 14 Nov 2008 07:48:28 +0000

David Lawyer a écrit :

>> probably a copy of the author's mail here, on discuss, should be enough?
>
> You're not going to burden this list with all this noise on this
> mailing list?  One thing we need a some kind of a database.

mailing list is a kind of database :-), and we can very easily create
a mailinst list just for this purpose (no real need to be subscribed,
archives do the job)

  One could
> create

we just have to find the "one". You may be aware that we are unlikely
to have any complain, the archiving is just a precaution

> I again point out that many authors would like to maintain their
> HOWTOs, if they have time.

we don't ask for any length of time :-). Use of the wiki may lower
considerably the burden of maintaining. If I judge on my own
situation, I used docbook/linuxdoc only for the HOWTO, never for
anything else, so each time I wanted to change a comma, I had to learn
again the langage, find again the tools an send a submit. So I did
this nearly never.

on the contrary, with the wiki, even if the user don't make the
change, the author have just to connect, fix and save. and most people
nowaday have to use a wiki or an other and know how.

jdd

--
jdd for the Linux Documentation Project
http://wiki.tldp.org