discuss: Mail-Administrator-HOWTO

Subject: Re: Mail-Administrator-HOWTO
From: Guylhem Aznar ####@####.####
Date: 20 Jul 2001 10:20:47 -0000

On Wed, 18 Jul 2001, David Merrill wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 06:19:31AM -0700, ####@####.#### wrote:
> > Is this document actively maintained? If so, would it
> > be advantageous to convert it do DocBook? Would you
> > accept a patch to do so? If not that, would you accept
> > a patch to clean up the LinuxDoc?
>
> The author is also the LDP Coordinator, but as you can see that HOWTO
> hasn't been updated in two years. Guylhem is a medical student and I'm
> sure his studies are keeping him very busy. He's not been around much
> all year.

Yes I am very busy but the LDP is still having 50% of my time.

This week  is a bit special - I had no more vacations to attend to the
documentation summit in San Diego, so I traded wards and being on call
against additional vacations.

Else I still do my role at the LDP (I'm on an ambitious project :-) and
update my documents. I recently invited linuxfocuss to join us, since
their articles are turning more and more into HOWTOs and will be written
in docbook or xml in the future. This kind of PR also takes lot of time.

The French HOWTO has been recently updated (2 or 3 weeks ago) and is
subject to an open proofreading before being submitted to linuxdoc. Some
chapters are  ready to be added the Mail Administrator HOWTO but I want to
finish the French HOWTO first. The UUCP HOWTO will be next. One task at a
time.

Oh, and there is one difference : I now to to refrain myself from
posting to the lists. It takes too much time for a very low productivity.

Some months ago I switched to private mail and I've been very satisfied.
I only post when I think the discussions is going to far or the proposals
should be dismissed.

> > Excellent documentation, by the way. Very glad to have
> > it around; I suddenly have to set this up for my job
> > and having the HOWTO around to help is *very* nice.
>
> Great to hear.

For this very example I replied privately and offered to add chapters on
exim and postfix if he can convert the document to docbook. I'm waiting
for a reply.

Using private mail may be bad for one reputation (i.e. you seems unactive)
but it helps handling more work doing less email.