discuss: SGML frustration

Subject: SGML frustration
From: Wade Hampton ####@####.####
Date: 19 Jul 2001 16:04:55 -0000

Greetings,

Sorry for the frustrated post, but I am trying to
(been about 2 years).  I have a howto I need to
update and some documentation for a customer I
am writing and linuxdoc seems a good fit, if I can
get it working properly as I need html and a
nice printed book-like format (ps or pdf).

I have the samples:  big-howto-template.sgml and
big-howto-template-ld.sgml.

My system is RH 7.1 with rpms installed for:
	docbook-dtd3.0, 3.1, 4.1
	docbook-utils-pdf-0.6-13
	docbook-style-dsssl-1.59-10
	sgml-tools-1.0.9-9
	sgml--common-0.5-5
	psgml-1.2.1-13

I have the following (probably dumb) questions:

1)  When running sgml2html big--howto-template.sgml:
    a)  cannot generate system identifier for public text
	"-//OASIS//DTD...."
    b)  I get a lot of errors about "element "IMAGEOBJECT" undefined"
	for most of the elements.
    c)  I asssume these problems are a path or configuration
	issue.  I tried changing the DTD line to 4.1 and
	re-running, but with the same result.

2)  When I edited big-howto-template-ld.sgml to include
	an image, I am having problems with image placement
	in sgml2ps.  I took a screen capture of kcalc and
	saved it as jpg, gif, and eps files.  I then changed
	the figure tag to

<figure loc="here">
	<eps file="kcalc.eps" height="4cm">
	<image src="kcalc.gif">
</figure>

	The image appears fine in sgml2html output, but in the
	postscript output, the image starts in the middle of
	the screen and typically goes off the right side.

	How can I make the image start at the left margin?  I can
	then scale the image for a nice output....

Cheers,
--
W. Wade, Hampton  ####@####.####
According to Microsoft, GPL and similar licenses are "viral"