discuss: C-Programming HOWTO?

Subject: Re: C-Programming HOWTO?
From: John Peter Tapsell ####@####.####
Date: 19 Jul 2001 05:56:09 -0000

On Wed, 18 Jul 2001, ####@####.#### wrote:
> Is there any basic coding tutorial out there?
> Something to bridge the gap from "I can use bash!" to
> the Linux Programming Guide (when it gets
> resurrected)? It would mostly be a general reference
> guide, but it would use Linux tools. Maybe include
> sections on basic use of automake and autoconf, since
> there don't seem to be [mini-]HOWTOs on those
> subjects.
>
> Would this be better done as a Guide?

To be honest, if you are starting out from scratch with C, buy a dead tree
book....  My C collection is already about 4 basic big books - and a lot more if
you count the book on make, the book on lint, the advanced C algorithms,
Visual C++ and then theres Linux Programming, L:inux kernel guide, XML, CGI,
Advanced object orientated programming.. and I haven't even touched on the
opengl, AI, lex + yacc, gnome, kde, etc...and thats not including Java..

  Every part requires a lot of information.  Not something you can get into a
single guide IMHO.  It would be HUGE.

Same goes with perl.

p.s. I'm broke, please someone send me money for more books, I want to get the
next version of that linux device drivers one.. ;)

> Oh, and I haven't even graduated programmer school, so
> I'd be soliciting gobs of help from everyone and their
> hacker mother.

What I found was that uni dosen't even scratch the surface, and if my uni is
anything to by, they don't teach you good programming style.  (These days every
I do I stick in CVS, use inline documentation and tools to extract it,
Makefiles etc... they didn't teach that kinda stuff in uni).  And don't even
get me started on the lack of error handling..

Again in my very humble opinion, what is needed is how to program expertly.
How to use CVS etc etc.. for your projects.  When to split up files, when not
to.  How to keep things generic across platforms... but I have a feeling this
kinda stuff is taught with experiance, can't be taught from a guide.

Er, I kinda rambled on there.. i don't think i actually said anything.
oh well

JohnFlux

--
"I worry about my child and the Internet all the time, even though she's too
young to have logged on yet. Here's what I worry about. I worry that 10 or