discuss: DocBook Wiki--was it considered?

Subject: Re: [discuss] DocBook Wiki--was it considered?
From: Martin Wheeler ####@####.####
Date: 20 Aug 2008 11:37:11 +0100

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008, Randy Kramer wrote:

> Do you mind if I forward your last post (this one) to the
> ####@####.#### mailing list?

Not at all.  Consider anything I write to any public list as being in the
public domain.  (If it ain't, I make it *very* clear.)

>  I was glad
> to see you take the bull by the horns and try it out.
 . . .
>  it was easy to install on Debian (to try out), and it seems to work
> reasonably well for editing Docbook.

Yes.  The server I installed it on runs Debian testing; and had NO history
of previous docbook toolchains being installed on it.  (I've had gross
incompatibility problems caused by cross-interference of differing tools
on other machines before.)
CAVEAT: installing from scratch will take up *half a gigabyte* of disk
space as it puts all the bits and bobs in place.

Anyone who cares to try it will find it at

     http://avalonix.co.uk/books/

[terminating slash essential].

Please contact me off-list if you'd like a user/editing ID.

> when you say "i.e. endless unindexed pages
> which are hell on wheels to navigate through" are you referring to the
> situation on the Docbook wiki, or are you referring to wikis in
> general

 .. wikis in general.  (Usually depends on who writes the pages!)

> i.e., are you saying that the Docbook wiki doesn't have the typical
> wiki navigation features (like links, the Recent Changes page, a search
> function)?

Docbookwiki isn't *really* a wiki.
It's a multi-user, online docbook document editing tool.
(Docbookeasy even more so.)
And it's restricted to XML.  (Important for me, as I use a lot of
SGML DTDs, which of course it won't accept, as there's no (easy) way of
changing the DTD being used.)
So don't expect *all* the usual wiki features.

> If there is a problem with navigation, my first thought would be to install a
> Google dedicated search thingie (like I use on
> Wikilearn--http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Wikilearn/WebSearch).

Oh, it does its own indexing; and has its own search engine -- for tags,
as well as text.

Cheers,
--
Martin Wheeler - G5FM   +44 1458 83-1103 - Glastonbury - BA6 9PH - England
####@####.####   http://martinwheeler.net/   http://avalonit.net/