discuss: HowToForge

Subject: Re: [discuss] HowToForge
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 3 Aug 2008 00:54:37 +0100

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 09:04:24PM -0600, ####@####.#### wrote:
> I agree, there should be a sustainment of the kind of documents kept
> here.  But, for those who do not want to bother with DocBook and
> simple ease of access, I feel Wiki would be a great solution to a
> simple problem.

I agree that DocBook is way too difficult but we also allow docs in
LinuxDoc which is, if one only uses a reasonable subset of it, no more
difficult than wiki format, imo.  A major problem is that our
documentation such as the Author Guide favors DocBook and many people
think that is what we prefer.  It should be the other way around.

>The more people are able to easily make changes,
> access material, and publish their own documents (print, download PDF
> versions (perhaps from a PDF dynamic creator perhaps, etc.), and
> simply browse with ease the better TLDP will be.

Well, the old way was for a reader to just click on the "mail to" to
send an email to the author with suggestions, corrections, etc.  The
new way will hopefully be to modify the wiki which the author will
check over.  The new way is likely more efficient but a personal email
to the author has its advantages too.  One can say extra things like
complementing the author for the work and make other comments that may
not belong in the doc.
				David Lawyer