discuss: HowToForge

Subject: Re: [discuss] HowToForge
From: Rick Moen ####@####.####
Date: 31 Jul 2008 05:45:27 +0100

Quoting Sean Peterson ####@####.####

> Thank you for your answer, Rick.

You're quite welcome.

> I asked my "rather bizarre" question, because an outsider either a
> potential contributor or reader might do just so or even ask more
> bizarre questions, like:
>
> 1. which repository can I trust more, TLDP or HowtoForge?
> 2. which repository tends holds most recent information?
> 3. which repository tends to have higher quality/reliability?

Really?  I must say that this notion of shopping for _repositories_ seems
to be quite rare, in this era of search engines.  One would almost think
that a contrived scenario.  ;->

Anyway, you asked how HowToForge differs.  In a nutshell:  I pointed out
that its contents are proprietary, advertising-driven, and exist
entirely dependent on the continued well-being of a one-man-band
for-profit company.  (To answer the obvious quibble:  Yes, if the site
were to collapse, you _could_ republish the vanished documents elsewhere
if you find mirrors _and_ are able to track down and secure permission
from their authors, the latter point seeming doubtful to me.)

Wild-eyed innocent that I am, I of _course_ assume that you asked that
question purely out of curiosity about the answer.  ;->

> If this type of analysis has already been done....

HowToForge came up briefly in June on this mailing list, but only in
passing.

> In fact, the LDP faq is a good candidate for replacement with phpmyfaq,
> which allows readers to rate articles, thereby giving some idea of how
> useful the information was. But that is another issue and it seems our
> plate is already full.

That that would, sad to say, completely fail to fill the LDP FAQ's
(http://tldp.org/FAQ/LDP-FAQ/) current scope.