discuss: HowToForge

Subject: Re: [discuss] HowToForge
From: "Robert Spencer" ####@####.####
Date: 31 Jul 2008 05:12:05 +0100

On 7/31/08, Sean Peterson ####@####.#### wrote:
<...>
> Can someone say how TLDP will differentiate itself from a site like
> http://www.howtoforge.com/ ?

I think we as the LDP are already doing an excellent job of
differentiating ourself from other repositories of information a.k.a.
libraries, by:

1. Having an utterly amazing shrinking collection of old, stale books.
Other libraries have people that source books, we say; "Bah, humbug!".
With our magnetic personality and god given right to have books fall
out of the sky and into our laps. Who needs to do that?

2. Creative use of magazines as filler. Rumour has it we now look more
like a news-stand, but you have to give credit to the bright spark
that thought this up. Previously you could see how small our
collection of books were, what with 3/4 of the place being empty. He
even had the brilliant idea of getting duplicates of one magazine
under another name so that it took up twice the space and confusing
the issue by putting one magazine collection in another room. You say
other libraries keep all their magazines in one place, perish the
thought. Our way is much more entertaining.

3. Year on year getting the least done. We have staff, some where. Or
though some haven't been seen in years. What!  You say they should be
replaced if they don't get things done. Impossible, their positions
are for life and quite possibly hereditary. Plus the fact that someone
would have to figure out how to do that. No, it most definitely can't
be done.

4. Talking and never really getting anything resolved. You know if we
stopped talking and actually did something it might lead to w... You
know, the forbidden word.

I could list more points, but come on. We've already made ourselves
unique. What? You say others have done this before us. Strange, I
haven't seen them around. They're dead! Shame, I'm sorry to year that.
I wonder how that could have happened?

> What does the former do better, etc, etc?

Work.

Oops! Aah, crumbs! Now look what you've made me do, now I'm going to
have to go and wash my mouth out with soap.

--
Robert Spencer