discuss: Linux Networking How-To: Maintainership and Wiki'fying at Wikibooks

Subject: Linux Networking How-To: Maintainership and Wiki'fying at Wikibooks
From: "O.R.Senthil Kumaran" ####@####.####
Date: 22 Jul 2008 19:33:57 +0100

Hello List,

Long back (more than 3 years) I had mentioned my interest in maintaining the
Linux Networking How-To document:

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/NET3-4-HOWTO.html

I had done an initial work, removed the paypal links and could not update it
further. Even after prompts from Mrs. Garratte (apologize for the spelling), I
could not work on it.

Now, after a while, I found myself that I will be able to work it and I decided
to get started with the work before discussing in the list again.

I wanted to keep the How-To in a daily maintainable form and my natural choice
was to go for a Wiki. TLDP's Wiki site had Spam issue and unrealiablity, so for
maintainership I analyzed jottit.com and later settled upon Wikibooks site.

I thought, Wikibooks site would be a good one to maintain a Book format How-To
document and went ahead with wiki'fying the whole document here:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Linux_Networking_How-To

Now, I have two issues to discuss.

1) Can I be the maintainer of NET3-4-HOWTO document at TLDP, which currently
does not have a maintainer?

2) Can I host the in-progress version of the document at wikibooks.org site?
Wikibooks points that I need permission of the owner of the document, which
will be resolved with answer to point 1)

3) More pertaining questions, if we go for wikibooks vs wiki.tldp.org, I found
wikibooks more convenient when I started off, say a month ago. I can migrate
the content if required, provided wiki.tldp.org becomes a bit more stable.

Let me know your views.

Thanks,
Senthil

--