discuss: wiki spam

Subject: Re: [discuss] wiki spam
From: jdd ####@####.####
Date: 5 Jun 2008 08:32:29 +0100

David Lawyer wrote:

>> so the shared password is probably the simpler and more effective
>> system: use one only password (for public pages, could have some more
>> for other ones) and spread the pass here. The home page will say: ask
>> the pass on the discuss list....
>>
>> no robot will go through and it's possible to change it from time to time.
>
> People searching for help on Linux are unlikely to first go to LDP.

people searching to help shouldn't go to the wiki. The LDP home page
is where there must go (and where google send them).

I don't see the wiki as a general purpose entry point (not a
wikipedia), but only as a LDP bugzilla, author blackboard where
authors can (if they want) begin to work.

> Instead they will use Google, etc. and might wind up at the wiki.

no. the wiki could even be made robot free

>   You don't want to make
> them go thru all the trouble of joining the discuss list do you?

yes I do. I don't want anybody being able to change HOWTO just because
they don't like the style or simply think there is some better way of
thinking. I would even like to have the HOWTO page (if any) restricted
to be written only by the author, and a discussion page (or sub page,
I don't know how moinmoin handle it) for anybody enter fixes. Having
an author for a HOWTO is basically a good thing.

it's even possible to write the password on the main wiki page (to
edit a page, type "editor").

of course this is my own feeling, it may not be the LDP one:-)

jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net