discuss: staff situation

Subject: Re: [discuss] staff situation
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 5 Jun 2008 04:01:33 +0100

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 09:56:29AM +0100, David Greaves wrote:

> You have limited resources and a list of requirements; you need to prioritise...
> I guess I'm seeing:
>
> 1) They must be able to be typeset
> 2) They must have the correct boilerplate
> 3) They must be immutable (ie static text, not wiki)
> 4) They must go through a process
> 5) They must be up to date
> 6) They must be accurate

> Given that you meet your top 4 requirements by not doing *anything*
> then I guess everything is just fine...
>
> Personally I think that list is in precisely reverse order...
I pretty much agree.  I would restate them as follows:

1) They must be accurate
2) They should be up to date and thus updated frequently if needed
3) It's nice if they are easy to be typeset
4) To promote the above, they must go through a process

Provision of on-line and off-line documentation has been the main use
of LDP documents in the past and seems to be the only use at present.
So publishing books, while nice, is not as significant as providing
accurate, up-to-date information on significant topics.  Thus, while
the proposal of accepting plain text and html for ldp would make it
harder to typeset them, one could tell authors that if you want to
get your howto printed, it's best to use linuxdoc or docbook.