discuss: Software-RAID-HOWTO

Subject: Re: [discuss] Software-RAID-HOWTO
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 31 May 2008 21:30:00 +0100

On Sun, May 25, 2008 at 01:57:40PM +0100, Sergiusz Pawlowicz wrote:
> I still cannot understand how technology can replace people,
> even with the most advanced CMS we will not get better quality.

You have a good point except that a database of information improves
productivity.  We would be better able to prioritize which HOWTOs need
work.  Information helps avoid duplication of effort: example: not
much need to review something already reviewed or start maintaining
something that the original author is willing to maintain.  The
statistics help show progress (or the lack thereof).  A CMS would help us
to determine which HOWTOs to remove to unmaintained or the like.  It
would help the translation effort to determine which HOWTOs are worth
while translating.

While it would significantly improve productivity, even with all this
info, we would still be in trouble without competent volunteers.  So
the point you make is well taken.

> Life is brutal - it is impossible to write good book without
> good knowledge of topic and good literature skills.
Of course.

> It is impossible to write a good book by 1000 people.

What about 50 people -:)?  If someone edits the entire book, then it
can be almost as good.  A single author can likely organized the book
a lot better than a group project, but an editor could do that too.
One problem would be that various parts of the book would have
different styles of presentation.

By book I suppose you include the Guides as well as long HOWTOs.