discuss: Software-RAID-HOWTO

Subject: Re: [discuss] Software-RAID-HOWTO
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 31 May 2008 21:29:41 +0100

On Sun, May 25, 2008 at 11:45:10AM +0100, David Greaves wrote:
> OK when did this stop?
> Where did he get to?
I don't think anyone knows and to investigate this one should know
Plone and python.  Much of his work is on the LDP site but much of it
is ad hoc code that was supposed to be replaced by Plone.  The project
was named Lampadas and you'll find a lot of it via Google even
though the Lampadas site is gone.

> So:
> 1. Draft
> 2a Editorially reviewed
> 2b Technically reviewed (set Technical deprecation time)
> 3 Published
> 4 Deprecated

It's more efficient to just have one review.  The deprecation time
can't really be determined in advance.  For example, the serial port
is pretty much obsolete but a how to on this subject doesn't become
obsolete since the port technology is static.  The documentation will
be needed by people with older computers.  However, the software to
deal with the port may change, but for old hardware it's not likely to
change much since it's a higher priority to write software for newer
hardware.

The best person to determine when it needs updating is the author.
Well, each howto could have a "update interval" depending on how fast
the technology is changing.  It might range from a few months to
several years.  When a doc exceeds its update interval (without being
updated), a form letter inquiry could be sent to the author to find
out why it hasn't been updated.  Perhaps it doesn't need updating.
The response could be multiple choice with narrative comments
encouraged since the choices might not include all situations.

> This kind of thing should be the stated goal.

[snip]
> Given the technology currently deployed what can people actually
> *do* other than write/edit and send emails?

There's a lot to do here.  A few hundred docs to rewrite and edit.
Also, work on an CMS (Content Management Sys.) is important.  And in
the previous effort, David Merrill went on the mailing list to ask for
suggestions and there were perhaps about 100 emails about what the CMS
should do and what the various statuses for a document should be
(example: currently maintained, but maintainer wants out).  It's too
bad that no one wrote a summary of this discussion which took place
over a period of over a year around 2002-3.