discuss: Proposed: Author-Mini-Howto (full text)

Subject: Re: [discuss] Proposed: Author-Mini-Howto (full text)
From: "Amit Choudhary" ####@####.####
Date: 31 May 2008 20:06:56 +0100

This might be a little off topic but I feel that we should allow authors to
write a HOWTO in text format - just like RFCs and internet drafts. When
someone wants to write a RFC he can do so immediately, and the world gets
some valuable invention like OSPF, BGP, etc. There are so many RFCs and so
many internet drafts and people have built billion dollar business based on
them, so we should not think that knowledge in a text based format is not
good knowledge and that people cannot understand it.

The questions that come to my mind are:

1. Do we want to unlock the knowledge or unlock it in a particular way?
2. Is forcing people to learn linuxdoc, etc. forcing them to not release
their knowledge?
3. Can you not understand something that is written in a text file?
4. Is this project suffering because of the bureaucracy of presenting the
knowledge in one particluar way for which the author has to invest time in
learning it?

We are interested in unlocking the knowledge that people have, we should be
just doing that. The text document can undergo rigorous review by members of
this list. I have written the system call howto and that was translated by
someone else. However, I did not see any difference in people implementing
the text version of it or the official version of it. I have to update it
but since I have to invest time in learning it, it is kept on being
postponed.

My 2 cents. If you do not like this approach then please ignore this
message. I am writing this mail because I feel that the knowledge is not
getting unlocked because of the restriction of having it in a particular
form.

-Amit