discuss: Re: Very outdated document: The TrueType Fonts in Debian mini-HOWTO

Subject: Re: [discuss] Fwd: Very outdated document: The TrueType Fonts in Debian mini-HOWTO
From: Rick Moen ####@####.####
Date: 31 May 2008 02:36:35 +0100

Quoting jdd ####@####.####
> David Greaves wrote:
> >Gosh - someone else out there in linuxland who is suffering pain because
> >LDP publishes misinformation.
>
> can you wait some days to the LDP fixing the situation? the demand is
> properly made and should be properly followed.

I don't think so.  This is really pretty simple, so let's go over it
again.

1.  The HOWTO maintainers of record are Jakob Østergaard and Emilio
Bueso, but they aren't bothering to send in updates, not even an
ultra-minimal one to preface the existing version with "ignore this
document and read [foo] instead".  Absent their action, eventually LDP
staff, when they get around to it, would / will move their mouldering
HOWTO into Unmaintained.

2.  Greaves claims to have some sort of mandate from Østergaard and
Bueso to supervise a kind of non-LDP successor document under GFDL terms
written by himself and others, based on Østergaard and Bueso's work but
ignoring obvious fundamentals such as copyright statement, proper
licence, revision history, etc.  Greaves _could_ with trivial effort
send in a revision to Østergaard and Bueso's HOWTO, but pointedly
refuses, incessantly citing at extreme length sundry ideological
justifications for his ignoring LDP's submission process -- while out of
the other side of his mouth making demands on LDP and calling its
volunteers names.

So, far from being "properly made", Greaves made a particular point of
_refusing_ to "properly make" it -- with traditional accompanying
self-justification ballyhooing The Good of The Linux Community, ad
nauseam.

In conclusion, I _hope_ LDP has the common sense to give him the bum's
rush, like any other name-calling, pushy passerby with a Web site to
flog.  Else, expect a parade of such annoyances.

(As a reminder, I do not speak for LDP.  And David Lawyer sure as _Hell_
doesn't speak for _me_.  ;->  )