discuss: staff situation

Subject: OT: Re: [discuss] staff situation
From: "Karl O. Pinc" ####@####.####
Date: 29 May 2008 20:50:32 +0100

On 05/29/2008 02:24:47 PM, ####@####.#### wrote:

   I want to learn how Linux works so I can
> control it and ultimately contribute back to the community.  The truth
> of the matter, though, is that I still feel pretty incompetent on
> Linux after three years.  What's worse is that when something goes
> wrong, I tend to spend hours on Google trying to find something,
> anywhere, which might give me a clue as to how to fix it.

I recommend the IRC channel for your distro, or perhaps the mailing
list. Even better is facetime with someone from your local Linux
user's group (see linux.org to find one).

> When I taught myself C++, my first language, I bought a college
> textbook from the store, started at page 1, and by the time I was
> around page 800 I had a comfortable feel of the language so I could
> ask intelligent questions and sift through articles and forum posts to
> figure out how to do what I didn't know how to do yet.
>
> Linux doesn't really have that.

The traditional book is: UNIX System Administration Handbook

(Note it's introduction in 1979 into the "A Brief History of Unix"
page.
http://www.users.csbsju.edu/~jgramke/Help/unix/unix/data/history.html
It's still going strong.)

On a more modern note, the guides at TLDP could (still) provide that
starting point.  The other thing to look at is the Filesystem Hierarchy
Standard at http://pathname.com/fhs/.

                  -- Robert A. Heinlein