discuss: ldp wiki

Subject: Re: [discuss] ldp wiki
From: David Greaves ####@####.####
Date: 27 May 2008 12:28:48 +0100

jdd wrote:
> Svetoslav P. Chukov wrote:
>> The wiki could be good and bad for the LDP.
>
> IMHO, the main problem is of course not the wiki.
>
>>> From the time I am interested in LDP I would say that LDP has lack of
>> volunteers, lack of reviewers and authors.

Here's something that may be worth thinking about:
  Why do people write HOWTOs?
  Why do people maintain HOWTOs?

In my travels I see a huge number of "here's how *I* got this to work"
documents. Sometimes people bother to turn this into a nice document and publish
it - a HOWTO. But then the itch is scratched and there's no need for that person
to revisit or maintain the document. One reason, I suspect, why HOWTOs aren't
terribly well maintained.

I wonder what percentage were ever revised by the original author?
I wonder how many were revised once or twice?
[I'm asking for data - my hypothesis may well be wrong]

I come across documents that I know to be incorrect. If it's a wiki I try and
login to make an edit and leave a comment.

So is there something to be said from distinguishing the original writing
process from the maintenance process?

Will a wiki allow authors to write but not require them to take up the load of
maintenance?

I have considered having edits to the linux-raid wiki be posted to the
linux-raid mailing list. That way there is the opportunity for them to be
technically reviewed. This may be appropriate for other HOWTOs and lists too.

David