discuss: ldp wiki

Subject: Re: [discuss] ldp wiki
From: "Svetoslav P. Chukov" ####@####.####
Date: 27 May 2008 12:24:23 +0100

From my point of view I would say that the key points for the LDP are the
following:
 - easy way of accepting articles, howtos, tutorials for review. - The user
should not bother with additional questions about how to conver the book to
particular  format. So, only 1 or 2 document formats available to the
end-user should exist. And that formats should be clearly understandable and
acceptable by the end-users. So, these formats are preferably not to be hard
to learn. If they are the contributer will probably just quit or drop any
further work at the document.

One of the problems I noticed in LDP is the huge waste of time when a
contributor wants to write some howto. At this point we have to understand
that this author is related to his work. So, if he/she wants to contribute
something then he/she wants to contribute it now. Not in 1 month or 1 year.
It is too late. This author probably has ordinary paid job and he has to
make money to live. So, when he/she wants to contribute a howto then that
means the time is now. That means the contributor has the spare time to do
it and this time will pass if a reviewer is not assigned in particular
amount of time.
If this happens the contributed howto just freeze at the middle of nowhere.

So, a new model of organization at LDP is needed for successful work. I
would think that mix  of a small incoming buffer and regular "documentation
days" where the materials from the temporary buffer will be submitted for
acceptance.
The current model is dependent from the available reviewers and that makes
the whole document contribution vulnerable. So, this is the bottleneck and
it should be fixed if we want to save the entire document collection from
the time effect. Because every day spent the documentation become older and
inaccurate for the current moment.

Svetoslav P. Chukov