discuss: Software-RAID-HOWTO

Subject: Re: [discuss] Software-RAID-HOWTO
From: David Greaves ####@####.####
Date: 26 May 2008 12:06:00 +0100

Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting David Greaves ####@####.####
>
>> (As the new Software-RAID HOWTO maintainer, I'm still waiting for my
>> request for the header to be updated...)
>
> A HOWTO maintainer who pointedly declines to ever submit an update is
> _not_ a HOWTO maintainer.  To the best of my recollection, "Borden"
> ####@####.#### has said he would be sending in an update, which
> will make _him_ the HOWTO maintainer from LDP's perspective, when he does so.
>
> You don't owe LDP a blessed thing, of course -- but the reverse is also
> true.  ;->

I am not interested in supporting poor solutions - like manually driven, ad-hoc
efforts such as you describe above and previously. Instead I want to see a
mechanism whereby a technology + process is *designed* to allow easy and
efficient HOWTO production. I am 90%+ the way there in my wiki as I mentioned in
my very early posts.
  http://linux-raid.osdl.org/index.php?title=Overview&printable=yes

Hiding the problem by updating one HOWTO is a waste of time and effort. However
the LDP is doing the community at large an active disservice in the meantime -
something that does not trouble you but may trouble others.

In the meantime I'll continue to help out where I can (eg with the bounce spam
that's been troubling this list for over a year - an area that you appear to
know about and did nothing to help resolve) and I'll be politely involved in the
discussion.

Listening to the list it seems that the level of 'design' is limited to
* does the wiki do spam filtering
* "I've used brand X and like it"
* wiki's aren't for books
etc

I've not yet seen much discussion on handling multi-page documents, language
translations, publishing processes etc.

For wiki's I'd expect concepts such as namespaces or even implementations like a
wiki farm 1 per howto with common templates.

I think that the LDP may yet rise from the dead.... one day. And I'll stay
involved for a while if I can help.

Until then, or until the Raid HOWTO is actually updated I'll continue to,
politely, repeat my request:

In my (and my community's opinion) a static HOWTO no longer serves our need. We
have moved into the 21st century and onto a wiki. Please respect the "HOWTO
information" maintainers request and:

As a service to your readers and, absent as of today, an updated HOWTO; would
you please consider noting in the HOWTO header that the Software RAID HOWTO is
out-of-date and that as of 2008, readers may be better of consulting the
community managed wiki at the osdl URL.

I suggest:

As of 2006 the Linux RAID HOWTO is now maintained as a wiki by the linux-raid
community at
   http://linux-raid.osdl.org/

The 2004 HOWTO is available here:
  http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Software-RAID-HOWTO-2004.html