discuss: Software-RAID-HOWTO

Subject: Re: [discuss] Software-RAID-HOWTO
From: "k stenerud" ####@####.####
Date: 18 May 2008 20:50:04 +0100

> As in all relationships, things come and go; I think the LDP needs to
> recognise
> when people and communities "move on" and, instead of initiating an
> acrimonious
> custody fight over a document that you have neither the skill, inclination
> nor
> resources to maintain; you should accept that the right thing to do is let
> that
> information go to a new, caring, home.

I think the "Wikipedia-style" approach would complement LDP nicely.
You could have the user-supplied content on the LDP wiki, and then
volunteers could solidify the knowledge into properly structured documents.
Actually, with a bit of imposed structure in the wiki itself (similar to
what Wikipedia does, actually), the transcribing process would be even
further simplified.  Heck, you'd probably end up with programs that generate
the bulk of the document, so you only have to deal with the smaller
details :)

This would only benefit LDP, since there would be a nexus of knowledge on
the wiki, and LDP static documentation would be maintained much as before,
but with a greater mindshare contributing knowledge.
Alas, the volunteer issue would not go away, since someone still has to
transcribe, but with the knowledge provided by a larger pool of experts, it
would be mostly a mechanical process.