discuss: Software-RAID-HOWTO

Subject: Re: [discuss] Software-RAID-HOWTO
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 17 May 2008 16:10:46 +0100

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 09:12:12AM +0100, David Greaves wrote:
> jdd wrote:
> > ####@####.#### wrote:
> >> the LDP will stubbornly, and rightly, refuse any changes to the
> >> current RAID-HOWTO which renders it useless as a standalone document.
> >
> > ??
> >
> > LDP is *not* a document author, only a collector
>
> I thought so too.
> Rick snipped and ignored that part of my post.

I'm a not-so-active member of the LDP staff and I apologize to David
Greaves for the way he was treated by Rick Moen.  But it's partly due
to a what I suspect was a misunderstanding by Rick Moen on the current
state of the LDP which I think people on this list are sort of
becoming aware of now.

LDP is in crisis, not due to internal conflicts but due to lack of
volunteers.  We don't have active staff to answer all inquires.
I don't think there is anyone who regularly reads the discuss list who
has the authority (or the time) do do what David Greaves suggested.
Well, I or Sergiusz could have taken it up on the staff list, but I
got behind on reading the discuss list.  And, by the way, there is
almost no activity on the staff list.

As far as I know, LDP often violated what was in the Author Guide from
the very beginning, partly because it was difficult to find people to
do technical reviews.  So to tell David G. to read the Author Guide,
which isn't being followed too much now, and is overly long anyway,
wasn't a good idea in this case.

Discussions elsewhere have noted the sorry state of LDP.  It's not
bashing an organization to admit that it's in trouble.  And thanks to
Rick Moen for at least answering an inquiry, even though I didn't like
part of the way he did it.  If it were not for him, David G's inquiry
might not have been answered at all.

Due to various reasons, I have little time for LDP anymore but would
like to see it find some good volunteers and succeed.  It needs to
revise it's procedures to reflect the reality of a lack of volunteers.