discuss: Software-RAID-HOWTO

Subject: Re: [discuss] Software-RAID-HOWTO
From: jdd ####@####.####
Date: 15 May 2008 07:32:28 +0100

####@####.#### wrote:
> 'Evening,
>
> The growing flamewar on this list seems unproductive.

if you give help, its no more :-)

   It appears that
> the LDP will stubbornly, and rightly, refuse any changes to the
> current RAID-HOWTO which renders it useless as a standalone document.

??

LDP is *not* a document author, only a collector

> To end this argument before someone gets banned, and since I wouldn't
> mind getting involved in the LDP, how about I work with David in
> patching the wiki howto's holes snapshotting it, and then submitting
> it as an updated LDP howto?

if you do so you will be involved in LDP (nicely)

> I haven't bothered checking whether there are existing RAID-HOWTO
> maintainers but I'm guessing that there aren't.  Please don't flame me
> if there are.  Thank you :)

the logical way is to first read the author part of the HOWTO and
write to the authors. Did somebody do this on the beginning, before
bashing them?

If they don't answer (or agree to let alone the HOWTO), you are free
to take it. If for whatever reason I don't have to judge, they
refuses, you can just inform the discuss list and ask for copying this
HOWTO to the obsolete folder and submit your, with a slightly
different name. However this is probably not to happen.

The worst that usually happen is to have no answer.

So, with the same name or a new one, the best IMHO thing you can do is
to write a very basic raid HOWTO, the sort of thing that *can't*
become obsolete and in it discuss the wiki and give it's URL.

thats all, probably

thanks
jdd

NB: by the way, is your doc (HOWTO or wiki) speaking of what have to
be done in case the partition table is lost? Is there any special raid
thing about that? I'm author of the partition rescue howto, but don't
know anything of RAID and an update of the howto is on the shelf
thanks

--
http://www.dodin.net