discuss: Software-RAID-HOWTO

Subject: Software-RAID-HOWTO
From: David Greaves ####@####.####
Date: 11 May 2008 11:06:22 +0100

Hi all
The linux-raid community has moved on considerably from the approach described
in the Software-RAID-HOWTO which primarily focuses on the unsupported raidtools
software. Users would arrive on the mailing list dazed and confused - clearly
something needed to be done!

So some time back I contacted the authors and began the process of updating the
Software-RAID-HOWTO and bringing the license to GFDL (see
http://linux-raid.osdl.org/index.php/Credits)

The updated docs are now managed as a wiki (although still available as a single
document at http://linux-raid.osdl.org/index.php?title=Overview&printable=yes)

Ideally the HOWTO here http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Software-RAID-HOWTO.html should now
be deprecated to http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Software-RAID-HOWTO-2004.html and
replaced with:

As of 2006 the Linux RAID HOWTO is now maintained as a wiki by the linux-raid
community at
   http://linux-raid.osdl.org/

The 2004 HOWTO is available here:
  http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Software-RAID-HOWTO-2004.html

If you feel that this is not appropriate then could we at least amend the header
text along those lines?

The idea of moving the HOWTO is to quickly expire old links - if TLDP has a
better method for preventing the continued referencing of out-of-date info then
I'm happy with whatever you feel is best.

If you feel I should be approaching this in a different manner then please let
me know.

Thanks

David Greaves