discuss: user space - kernel space howto

Subject: Re: [discuss] user space - kernel space howto
From: Steven ####@####.####
Date: 3 Mar 2008 05:02:05 -0500

>  have put a very early version of my proposed user space -
>  kernel space communication howto on my homepage
> [ http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~arkeller/linux/ ]

Hmmm.. Imho very readable and interesting technical document.
I like it :> It's pretty ambitious too. Good luck.

I hope i've understood you properly as i haven't gone
through it fully. It's a fairly technical and abstract
topic, and I'm not sure who/what it's meant for.
Would it be possible to post a single page version as well ?

Have you checked for similar stuff around the web ?

Steven.

Criticisms:

I found the introduction and titles too abstract, and after
reading the memory/copying section, was wondering what the
point was. Would a more concise intro ~like~ this help:

"This document looks at the numerous and interesting ways
the Linux kernel interacts with the user and user space programs.
These include explanations of Sockets, Procfs and simliar
virtual filesystems, creating new Kernel System calls,
as well as mundane file and memory handling."

I'd rename the
"Read and Write Functions of RAM Based File Systems"
section to
"Procfs, Sysfs, and similar kernel interfaces"
and
"System Call" to "Kernel System Calls"
and
"Signals" -> "Terminating Processes and other Signals"
Perhaps rename the doco to "Linux Kernel Interfaces" ???
(if this is correct).

The signal section is way too abstract and short at the
moment. Some examples here (and elsewhere?) would help.

An overview of sequential io filesystems would be very
interesting..  though this might be too hard to do well in a
short space and not fall within the scope of the doco.