discuss: LDP Job Descriptions

Subject: LDP Job Descriptions
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 21 Nov 2007 06:28:28 +0000

I've been catching up on my unread email from years ago.  About 2 1/2
years ago there was a flurry of posts about job descriptions.  They
are now on our website.  A major reason for doing this was to show
potential volunteers what sort of help we need from them.  It also
allows us to put priorities on them, although volunteers can work on
any project they want to, provided of course that they can do a
satisfactory job of it.  But I would like to see a one-page listing of
jobs, so I wrote one.  Here it is.  It doesn't describe the jobs but
I think it would be counterproductive to try to list each job
description in detail.  Volunteers want the freedom to do what they
are motivated to do.  Except that of course any significant change in
policy requires consensus from the mailing list.  Here's my list,
converted from LinuxDoc to HTML to Plain Text.  What improvements are
needed to this list?  Note that I intentionally didn't give full
titles to all the jobs.  One could have some of the jobs on this list
as links.  Click on the link and you get more details about what needs
doing and possible options for doing it.

                                Job Descriptions

   by David S. Lawyer, Nov. 2007

   Here is a list of volunteer "jobs" at LDP. * means that we now have no
   one currently to do this job. However, even where there are people
   tackling some of these jobs, more help is needed, especially more
   authors and reviewers.

   A LEADER to insure that everything is working OK, plus:
     * Authoring
          + Authors/ Maintainers
          + Doc Reviewers (Inc. Review Coordinator)
     * Website (Plone, etc. would help)
          + Webmaster
          + Doc. Publisher
          + *Mirror Maintainer
          + Mailing Lists
          + *Wiki Quality Controllers
     * Public Relations
          + *News Writers
          + *Recruiters
     * Software Tools
          + Markup Tools (DocBook, LinuxDoc, etc.)
          + *Content Management (Plone, etc.)
          + *Wiki
     * Draft Basic Policy (to be approved by consensus)
          + Manifesto Improvements
          + Licensing Policy