discuss: DocBook vs LinuxDoc (was LDP Incorporate ...)

Subject: Re: [discuss] DocBook vs LinuxDoc (was LDP Incorporate ...)
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 6 Nov 2007 06:44:23 +0000

On Tue, Nov 06, 2007 at 11:03:22AM +0900, Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:
> nxml mode for emacs makes the XML/DocBook authoring process HTML-like
> simple.

I find LinuxDoc significantly simpler than writing in HTML.

> Plus, as has been mentioned already, there are much more XML parsing
> tools on the market, including computer aided translation tools (CAT).

What's needed here is a better machine conversion from LinuxDoc to
DocBook xml.  Merging of LinuxDoc and Docbook might do this.  Is there
any problem of converting from DocBook-sgml with all tags present to
DocBook-xml?

> When translation is involved and one does not want the translators to
> work in the source, for fear of breaking it,

I don't understand.  Wouldn't backups enable restoration of any
accidental deletions made by the translator?  I've done accidental
deletions and found what I deleted in my backups.  With docs widely
spread around the Internet, one might be able to get the equivalent of a
backup off the Internet.

> it is important to have  such tools, that also contribute to
> ensuring that the translation is  homogenous terminology-wise.

The original may not be homogeneous terminology-wise and a good
translation may be superior to the original.

Can't the tools be configured to leave tags alone and just translate
the text outside of tags?