discuss: Gnome Help 2.0

Subject: Re: Gnome Help 2.0
From: Jorge Luiz Godoy Filho ####@####.####
Date: 17 Jul 2001 03:39:31 -0000

On Mon, 16 Jul 2001, ####@####.#### wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 17, 2001 at 12:05:36AM -0300, Jorge Luiz Godoy Filho
> wrote:
>> On Mon, 16 Jul 2001, ####@####.#### wrote:
>> >
>> > We're using xsl, so what I would need is a customization layer
>> > for Norman Walsh's (fabulous) stylesheets.
>>
>> We, here, is the Gnome project?
>
> Eeek. Yeah, sorry. I'm the guy working on the stylesheet/help
> rendering system for GNOME. Our plan is to use libxslt to render
> docs directly from DocBook on the fly using customizations to Norman
> Walsh's stylesheets.

OK. :-)
I've been subscribed to the gnome and gnome-doc mailing lists for more
than a year now, but I've not been reading it for a long time... :-(

I have some questions on that idea, and I don't know if you're the
right person to ask. I'll ask it here but feel free to tell me to ask
them to somebody else or at somewhere else.

1. What are the advantages, to the end user, of having (DocBook) Gnome
   Documentation converted on the fly to something Gnome Help can
   read? Why not just generating HTML ('make docs') files and
   displaying them?

1.1. How to locate DSSSL stylesheets? Or we'll be restricted only to
     Norman Walsh's default stylesheets? (Honestly, I think they
     aren't enough and always need some customization to reflect
     project decision -- such as TOC, TOC level, CSS stylesheets,
     admonitions images, new processing directives, etc.)

2. Has somebody made measurement tests and performance tests with this
   conversion? Are these tests results available?

3. Is there going to be some kind of cache? In what way that cache
   differs from previously generated files (as I've asked on 1)?

4. How are XREFs treated between documents?

5. If I have a URI in my document that points to a website, will my
   user be able to click on it and have it displayed? (LDP documents
   have lots of links of this kind)

6. I have some other questions, but I need to think on them based on
   the answer from these previous questions. :-))

>> > Daniel Veillard has kindly added DocBook sgml support to libxslt,
>> > so this also is backwards compatible to sgml docs.
>>
>> Cool!
>
> Yeah, we all collectively owe Daniel a great deal of beer, or at
> very least love and adoration. :-)

When he comes to Brasil --- specifically to Curitiba ---, I'll pay him
some beer. :-)

>> SGML documents with a customized DSSSL stylesheet.
>>
>> We'll also have a customized XSL stylesheet.
>>
>> And, on the resulting HTML, we apply some CSS.
>
> OK. We oughta be able to work with something along those lines.

Greg Ferguson corrected me on that answer, but I think that the above
answer is still valid for some other projects and several documents
written in DocBook.

The problem with XML StyleSheets can be easily solved through the use
of the <?xml-stylesheet?> PI. But, as I've asked before, how are you
planning to solve that for DSSSL stylesheets?

Sorry for this 'bomb' ;o)

--

Desenvolvimento de Soluções         --          Solutions Development
Conectiva S.A     -    www.conectiva.com.br     -   +55 (41) 360-2600
Conectiva Inc.    -    www.conectiva.com        -   +55 (41) 360-2600