discuss: Test--why did I get a "bounce" message from majordomo@vpnc.org?

Subject: Re: [discuss] Test--why did I get a "bounce" message from majordomo@vpnc.org?
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 6 Nov 2007 04:13:59 +0000

On Mon, Nov 05, 2007 at 01:46:03PM +0000, Sergiusz Pawlowicz wrote:
> On 11/5/07, Randy Kramer ####@####.#### wrote:
>
> > Anybody know why?
>
> Yes, it was discussed here several times.
> Answer: somebody subscribed again to our list and is sending
> a vacation type automatic answer if you write anything to the list.

But this is from ####@####.####  It's the list server at
vpnc.org and this server seems to be effectively subscribed to our
mailing list.  Since it's hard to directly subscribe a list server to
our mailing list, the problem is most likely due to an ordinary
subscriber on the mailing list forwarding all messages from the list
to the majordomo list server.  Sam Varshavchik showed how to send out
a test message to the list that is different for each recipient and
contains the name (or other ID) of the recipient so that this name is
bounced back by majordomo.  Has this been tried?  Then the "guilty"
subscriber is identified and can be removed from the list.  But the
"guilty" subscriber could just have an infected PC and not actually be
to blame.

Someone on vacation?  I've been seeing similar messages for months
from vpnc.org.  Why would someone on vacation forward their email to
majordomo?