discuss: Translations (was: LDP Incorporate ...)

Subject: Re: [discuss] Translations (was: LDP Incorporate ...)
From: Jean-Christophe Helary ####@####.####
Date: 5 Nov 2007 13:07:14 +0000

On 5 nov. 07, at 15:04, David Lawyer wrote:

> In the past I've looked over translation sites in Russian and Spanish
> (the 2 languages I've studied) and found that there are lots of
> problems: stale translations, new docs not translated, etc.  It would
> be nice if we could help them but how?  I think a first priority is to
> put our own house in order and generate a lot of significant new docs
> to translate.

I could not agree more with that.

Regarding translation communities there are a few that are clearly
identified (the French one for example) that do a good job at
proofreading, updating and generaly handling the translation process.

For the other language I know, Japanese, I was surprised not to find a
specific LDP-ja like community.

I think it is important that the LDP creates a set of rules that
ensure a minimum of QA in the translation process so that localized
versions can be considered almost as good as the original.

Setting such guidelines could be on the list of things to do soon.

> There is a i18n mailing list at LDP but no posts for the past 2 1/2
> years.  Even then, most posts were just testing or asking if anyone
> was still on the list.  Once LDP gets it's docs sorted out and has a
> content management system that includes either translations or links
> to them, this will help translations.

Maybe i18n could be used as a bridge between the different translation
communities and the authors, so that questions can be asked about the
original, or so that authors can inform communities about updates...

Jean-Christophe Helary