discuss: LDP Incorporate under "Software in the Public Interest"

Subject: Re: [discuss] LDP Incorporate under "Software in the Public Interest"
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 4 Nov 2007 08:38:46 +0000

On Wed, Oct 31, 2007 at 09:54:15AM -0600, Ian Hakes wrote:
> I think this is a good idea. Having access to a larger pool of volunteers
> might help with tasks like translation, Docbook encoding, etc, so that LDP
> can reach a larger audience, and is more accessible to general technical
> writers.

With the simple LinuxDoc available, encoding in DocBook is not a high
priority task IMO.  Translation is done by people in non-English
speaking countries so this is not a high priority task either.  But
volunteers are needed as authors and to help maintain our website as
well as for creating a content managment system (like Plone) and also
a wiki.  We also need better follow up for people who propose to write
howtos for us, etc.  Someone need to sort out old howtos and determine
which ones are too far out of date, etc.  We also need recruiters and
reviewers.  Thus we need volunteers to do administrative tasks.

I think that before we accept people to help administer LDP, they
should have either written at least one good document, either for LDP
or elsewhere.  In order to help admisinister an organization that
has authors hopefully writing good quality documentation, the
administrators should at least be capable of doing the same.

>10/31/2007 01:35 AM
>cc
>Subjectl [discuss] LDP Incorporate under "Software in the Public Interest"

(I've deleted the "A" typo. DL)