discuss: Linux documentation

Subject: Re: [discuss] Linux documentation
From: jdd ####@####.####
Date: 14 Sep 2007 06:03:52 +0000

Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Steven writes:
>
>> How are the html man pages going ? (have i missed some news ?) Hmmm...
>> the idea
>> is nice, but maybe not so worthwhile considering the poor state of
>> Linux man
>> pages in general.
>
> They're doing just fine, thank you for asking. Besides the core man
> pages set, I also have coreutils, util-linux, gnutls, openldap,
> linuxpam, SDL, and PCRE man pages, as nicely-rendered HTML.
>
> http://www.tldp.org/manpages/man-html/

I know this is an old discussion, but may be it's time to make changes.

I wonder how all this doc is used. I know I don't use it anymore or
nearly.

I noticed that the php documentation is very nice and use a system
similar to a wiki (I don't know exactly what system, but this should
be easy to find)

That is the documentation (online) is irganised as usual, but at the
and of each page there is a user part where everybody (don't know if
this is filtered or not, I'm not clever enough to write there) can add
examples or remarks.

This part is incredibly usefull
may be we sould do a similar thing?

If I remember well, when discussing the wiki, the discussion was
mostly about editing the original document. Here the goal is to add
user experience to it

jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net