discuss: Should LDP apply for non-profit status (was Re: VolunteerMatch ...)

Subject: Re: [discuss] Should LDP apply for non-profit status (was Re: VolunteerMatch ...)
From: Rick Moen ####@####.####
Date: 19 Apr 2007 21:57:15 -0000

Quoting Bradley Hook ####@####.####

> Deliberative assemblies have very little to do with the daily operations
> of an organization, but they have everything to do with governance. I
> like how "governance" is defined in Wikipedia:

Pretty damned grandiose for computerist organisations, which for good
and compelling reasons tend to be run as lean do-ocracies[1] staffed by
small groups of active participants.

In that realm, it's my experience that gratuitous bureaucracy (e.g., the
SFpcUG Steering Committee) can be the last straw.  You presumably have
different views.  Good luck with that.

> >I'm sorry, then:  You haven't bothered to state what you mean by
> >"organization seeking legal recognition", and perhaps you should start
> >by doing so.
>
> I generally expect most "computerists" to be able to derive meanings
> from what I say, but if you insist:

Thank you.

Many people would use "seeking legal recognition" to mean "seeking to be
able to have the status of an entity recognised by the courts".  You
seem to have decided to use it to mean "seeking a determination letter
from Internal Revenue Service that the group will not be assessed for
income taxes".

Far be it from me to criticise your definitions, but you might wish to
be a bit more explicit in the future.

[1] http://evan.prodromou.name/Journal/24_Messidor_CCXIV