discuss: Should LDP apply for non-profit status (was Re: VolunteerMatch ...)

Subject: Re: [discuss] Should LDP apply for non-profit status (was Re: VolunteerMatch ...)
From: Rick Moen ####@####.####
Date: 19 Apr 2007 00:14:35 -0000

Quoting Bradley Hook ####@####.####

> Yes, Troops can enter into contracts. However, Troops are *not*
> independent organizations.

I recall encountering setups to the contrary.  But, regardless, this is,
fundamentally, _entirely irrelevant_ to the point I was making, which I
believe you were purporting to discuss -- unless, as now seems more
likely you were purposely digressing irrelevantly, in which case I would
prefer you not do that during a discussion already burdened with details
unfamiliar to most participants.

> The various copies I have read, including the one currently on my
> bookshelf, outline the procedures to formally establish a new assembly.
> In my understanding of the word, an assembly qualifies as an
> organization, and so it does explain how to "form a new organization."

I really don't think so.  A deliberative assembly is merely a committee
that is collectively sovereign (when it meets and votes) concerning some
subject matter over which it has some responsibility.  That's all very
nice, but has little to do with the actual tasks entailed with running
an organisation.

(I remember a group that literally _did_ seem to consider superfluous
any actions beyond voting:  It was the San Francisco PC Users Group
Steering Committee, butt of many fine jokes, in the day.)

> In addition, it defines a well-tested method of governing the organization.

Er, deliberative assemblies are almost always merely part of what runs
an organisation (if they are present at all).  I shudder to think of
what would happen to most groups if they tried to accomplish every
aspect of governance through votes in committee.

> The point is, they don't have to.

I'm sorry if I missed your point, but it was just a bit unclear.  If you
meant to say "Groups seeking an IRS determination letter under IRC section
501(3)(7) as social and recreational groups need not be incorporated",
you would be correct.  (I actually already mentioned that, earlier,
upthread.)

> I do not mean incorporation. While a non-incorporated organization can
> seek legal recognition, it would be difficult to do so without a solid
> form of governance.

I'm sorry, then:  You haven't bothered to state what you mean by
"organization seeking legal recognition", and perhaps you should start
by doing so.