discuss: Should LDP apply for non-profit status (was Re: VolunteerMatch ...)

Subject: Re: [discuss] Should LDP apply for non-profit status (was Re: VolunteerMatch ...)
From: Rick Moen ####@####.####
Date: 18 Apr 2007 21:58:25 -0000

Quoting Bradley Hook ####@####.####

> 1. Technically speaking, Boy Scout Troops are *programs* chartered to a
> legal entity, such as a church, school, or in some rare cases even a
> private company. Any contracts entered by the troop are on behalf of the
> chartering organization. All property and assets of the Troop actually
> belong to the chartering organization.

To reiterate, innumerable times, I've seen troops entering into contract,
through the various involved individuals so doing.  (Note that people
form contracts all the time, and a group of scouts and a parent can't
even enter a taxicab without doing so.)

> 2. If you want to know how to properly form a new organization, pick up
> a copy of Robert's Rules from your local book store ($5-$10).

Um, Robert's Rules of Order (in its various conflicting incarnations)
tells you nothing at all about how to form a new organisation:  It's a
set of rules of order for proceedings of deliberative assemblies.

> 3. Social clubs and such are recognized under tax law and carry no
> form of incorporation.

Except when they do.

> 4. Generally, a president, treasurer, and secretary are desirable for
> any organization seeking legal recognition.

If by "recognition" you mean incorporation, they are in fact required
(but are usually called CEO, CFO, and secretary).  An agent for service
of process is likewise required.