discuss: LDP can't get non-profit status without incorporating

Subject: LDP can't get non-profit status without incorporating
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 17 Apr 2007 23:41:43 -0000

On Tue, Apr 17, 2007 at 03:24:06PM -0700, David Lawyer wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 17, 2007 at 02:32:42PM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> > Quoting David Lawyer ####@####.####
[snip]
> Right now it seems that we likely qualify for tax exemption as either
> charitable and/or educational except that for charitable it says you
> must be incorporated (like you posted).  I haven't found such a
> statement for educational but it might exist.

Unfortunately it does exist at the start of Ch.3 of Publication 557.
So that puts an end to my proposal to get non-profit status without
incorporating.  Note that recreational and social clubs don't need to
incorporate to get non-profit status but charitable and educational
organizations do.

So I apologize for wasting everone's time with this "wild goose chase".
There are still a couple of options: 1. Incorporate or 2. Get an EIN
no. to open an investment account and to perhaps: get members exempted
from liability??

Perhaps Rick Moen has some ideas about this.  If someone were to sue
LDP and we had only an EIN with a California address, would the venue
be California?  Or would it be N. Carolina where our main website is
located?  This is important since I've been led to believe that the
California laws limiting lawsuits against members of unincorporated
nonprofits is more than just trivial.  And of couse another question
is "just who is a member ?".