discuss: VolunteerMatch will not accept LDP (was Re: EIN)

Subject: Re: [discuss] VolunteerMatch will not accept LDP (was Re: EIN)
From: Rick Moen ####@####.####
Date: 17 Apr 2007 01:18:38 -0000

Quoting David Lawyer ####@####.####

> Perhaps we should get 501c status but the IRS says that you have to be
> either a corporation, trust, etc. to do so.  Perhaps LDP should
> incorporate.

1.  Beware that the numerous 501(c) categories are _quite diverse_.
The requirement for "corporation, trust, etc." sounds like 501(c)(3),
which is the category for tax-exempt charities.  It's the most
time-consuming and demanding category to get, and also the one with the
most severe restrictions on what the organisation may then do.

I've seen quite a number of computerist groups naively assume that they
should apply for tax-exempt charity status, without any idea what's
involved.  They tend to find out that they're mistaken -- sometimes, the
hard way.  This is one of the reasons I put the "Common Misconceptions
Debunked" list into the Linux User Group HOWTO.

2.  Incorporation is likewise covered in "Common Misconceptions
Debunked".

I'm not saying it's necessarily a bad idea to apply for either of those
things; I'm just cautioning that computer groups should beware of
entering into such projects without any clear idea of what they're
doing, how, and why.